Do you often feel a bit lousy during winter months? Then you may need to consider getting a whole house humidifier.
Humidifiers help improve your cough, help your nose and throat health while reducing the effects of allergies by keeping the air moist. A humidifier makes your air much easier to breathe and more comfortable.
If you suffer from sneezing, coughing, allergies, dry skin or chapped lips, then you might be asking yourself whether or not you need one.
These are the best whole house humidifiers on the market now.
|Aprilaire 45 Water Panel Evaporator||Best Overall|
|AIRCARE MA1201 Whole-House Console-Style Evaporative Humidifier||Budget Pick|
|Aprilaire 865 Whole Home Steam Humidifier||Upgrade Pick|
1. Aprilaire 45 Water Panel Evaporator
Installing a whole house humidifier is a top priority for many homeowners. The ideal humidity level for your home depends on your location, but a humidity level between 30 and 50% is recommended.
A humidifier transfers water into the air, which increases the humidity level. This helps to eliminate dry skin, and coughing during the dry winter season, and can also help with asthma. It also protects your home from mold and prevents wood from rotting.
In order to maintain the optimum humidity level, you’ll need a whole house humidifier to be installed. Usually a whole house humidifier will require a professional installer, and is fairly expensive.
2. Aprilaire 400 Whole Home Humidifier
- Available in four different sizes
- Smart humidistat
- Automatic shut-off
- Impeccable performance
- Handles a whole house of up to 4,000 square feet
- One of the quietest models on the market
- Has a shorter warranty period
- Can be quite expensive
We love everything about this whole house humidifier that makes it perfect for large homes, especially during the winter. Firstly, the Aprilaire 400 model isn’t very difficult to install. It’ll take you a few hours and you’ll have to adjust it to fit the ductwork of your home.
According to reviews, the Aprilaire 400 works like a charm when it comes to providing moisture to your entire home. We’re confident that you can buy this humidifier based on its functionality and support alone. According to reviews, installation can be tricky. Make sure to read the user manual carefully and double check your installation before moving on to the next step.
3. Aprilaire 700M Whole Home Humidifier
- Best for large homes
- Manual controls vs. remote controlled
- Efficient and effective
- Quality materials
- Water markings are inaccurate causing you to overfill the reservoir
- Manual controls vs. remote-controlled
- Installation takes time and crew to install
- Large and hard to move
- Large and hard to move
4. Aprilaire 800 Whole Home Steam Humidifier
- Protects your home against dry indoor air
- 25% Quieter than its predecessor, the 700
- Can be set to run continuously or automatically
- Can be installed as a direct replacement for its predecessor
- Runs very hot
- Installation may be difficult due to the complex wiring
- Must be installed in a high, dry location
If you’re looking for an effective whole house humidifier, this unit from Aprilaire should be on your list. The Aprilaire 800 whole house humidifier is a forced warm air humidifier and is best used to humidify an area of over 6,200 square feet. It comes with a lifetime warranty on the tank and works in two different settings – continuous and automatic.
The automatic function is designed to kick in when the humidity level drops below 50%. The automatic function has a 6-speed fan that kicks in automatically when the humidity level drops below a specific point.
The Aprilaire 800 humidifier comes with an easy to change water filter and sends out 14.6 gallons of moisture per day on average. With a capacity of 3.2 gallons, replacement water is easy to come by.
5. Aprilaire 500 Whole Home Humidifier
- Establishes a healthy balance in the home
- Easy to install
- Does not take up a lot of space to maintain
- Affordable option
- Available in different capacities (now this is up to you)
- Periodically included in Aprilaire promotions and specials
- Since this is a whole house humidifier, it’s ideal for large houses afterall.
The Aprilaire 500 Automatic Humidifier is a great option for those who want to breathe easy at home. This unit is designed for use in larger homes up to 3,000 sq. feet. This unit relies on ultrasonic technology for fewer parts that either wear out or break. This is ideal for those who do not want a lot of chemical-filled cleaning or cleaning supplies.
The Aprilaire 500 is designed for use with furnace systems. It’s easy to install and offers conserving technology. According to reviews, this unit offers users a homier feel with less maintenance once it is installed.
6. Aprilaire 865 Whole Home Steam Humidifier
- Easy to install
- Effective humidifier
- Works well with other Aprilaire products
If you’re looking for a quality whole house steam humidifier for your home and want to invest in something not just for decoration, this is the one for you. It comes with a wall mount fan for better moisture distribution and helps to reduce the risk of condensation on windows.
The Aprilaire 865 whole house steam humidifier installs quite easily and integrates well with most HVAC systems. It has been designed to handle areas up to 2,000 sq. ft areas.
Best of all, you can simply set it and forget it. It has a built-in automatic humidistat that will automatically turn it on when indoor humidity levels drop below 40%.
7. AIRCARE EP9 800 Digital Whole-House Pedestal-Style Evaporative Humidifier
- Makes the much needed moist air
- Quiet operation
- The unit is strong and sturdy
- Can run for 24 hours without stopping
- Not heavy
The AirCare EP9 800 is an evaporative humidifier that uses water to humidify the air. This humidifier is quiet and easy to use. It does not include any compounds or chemicals and can last for a long time. There are a few versions of this product which makes it a better option for the user.
Keep in mind that only the A/C EP9 800 made for an ½"- ¾" diameter hole will fit on this model.
8. Honeywell Cool Moisture Console Humidifier
- Has a CLEAN function that will automatically clean the water storage
- Sleep mode lets you set the desired humidity level
- Has an oversized water tank
- Has a hygrometer so you can continuously monitor humidity levels
- Has an automatic sensor for water levels and temperature
- Stores up to 1 Gallon of water
- Has a nightlight
- Water filter indicator
- Senso-Coil is made of plastic
- Doesn’t have a 24-hour setting
- Only 3 speed settings
Honeywell is definitely one of the most trusted names in the industry. They’ve been around for over a hundred years and have been producing quality products all this time. The HCM350W humidifier is another example of an excellent product that Honeywell produces.
The HCM350W is a whole house humidifier that produces up to 60 gallons of moisture every 24 hours. The unit is designed to work quietly, and it’ll run all night to help you sleep better. The fact that it’ll work for 24 hours at a time means that it’ll most likely last all winter.
9. hOmeLabs 4,500 Sq. Ft Energy Star Dehumidifier
- Can be easily installed
- Extra large basin
- Quiet and vibration-free
- Environmentally friendly
- Compact and portable
Several readers told us they were disappointed that our previous whole house humidifier pick, the Frigidaire 70-pint, was discontinued. The hOmeLabs 4,500 Sq. Ft. Energy Star dehumidifier offers similar capacity and is Energy Star rated, so it’s a good option as a replacement.
The hOmeLabs 4,500 Sq. Ft. Humidifier is Energy Star certified, which means it uses less energy than similar humidifiers. It also comes with a large water basin that doesn’t need to be filled as regularly, so it can operate more effectively and save you money.
The hOmeLabs 4,500 Sq. Ft. Energy Star dehumidifier is one of the best for large rooms since it boasts a dehumidifying capacity of 4,500 square feet. The unit is AHAM and Energy Star certified, and has an on/off indicator light.
10. AIRCARE MA1201 Whole-House Console-Style Evaporative Humidifier
- Automatic humidity control
- Long lifespan – lasts up to 2 weeks or up to 1,000 hours
- Easy-to-use control panel
- Install and operate easily
- Slim and discreet
- Easy to move around the home
- Gentle stream of misty water
- Quiet operation – it emits a pleasant chime
- Suitable for the entire house
- Water can sometimes dribble out of the unit, especially when the tank is over half-full
- Water container is somewhat of a design flaw as it can get leaks and spray water all over the place when it's accidentally spilled over
- The unit sometimes splutters a few drops of water. This is due to its auto-shutoff feature, which stops the unit once the water level is too low or out
- Tank is a little fiddly to fill
11. URPOWER Humidifier
- Easy to operate
- Powerful and effective
- Very quiet
- Has a tank gauge to see the water level
- Steam control knob
- Shuts off automatically when the tank is empty or the water tab is opened
- You can adjust the mist output
- Works fast to give your room a more comfortable environment.
- Can only run for 10 hours at a time
- Produces more tank water when the humidity is high than when it's dryer outside.
- Produces a light steam sometimes when the water tank is almost empty, instead of a fine mist.
The URPOWER ultrasonic humidifier is a white sleekly designed humidifier you can use to add humidity to your home. It can humidify up to 853 square feet of space, which is about the size of a medium apartment. But, you really don't need that much area to decent performance with this humidifier.
The URPOWER humidifier uses a cool mist ultrasonic technology that sprays a fine, invisible mist into the air. The mist is completely safe to breath in. The mist is designed to be safe around small children and pets. It won't leave an unhealthy residue on your furniture and floors.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
What is the best humidifier for whole house?
Most 'whole house' humidifiers are actually centralized evaporative cool mist humidifiers, which are loud and don’t last very long.
Fortunately, a number of companies are waking up to this need for better quality whole house humidifiers, and we’ve reviewed the top 4. These are not only the most pleasant to live with, but are also the most effective.
Budget pick: HaloMist 50-Gallon Evaporative Cool Mist Review
Best of the best: CoolMist Ultrasonic Whole House Humidifier Review
Upgrade pick: Crane Drop Shape 2.5 Gallon Console Humidifier Review
Are whole house humidifiers worth the money?
Whole house humidifiers can make a significant difference to your indoor comfort, especially in winter. Since we are generally more comfortable in a humid environment, a whole house humidifier can help retain indoor warmth by preventing air from becoming too dry.
Whole house humidifiers are very effective and if you have a larger home or find yourself living in an area with low humidity, they can make a real difference. Just remember that it takes time for changes to occur so give the humidifier a week or two to see if it makes a difference.
Where should a whole house humidifier be installed?
Whole house humidifiers can be placed anywhere. They come in either cool- or warm-summer models based on your climate. When choosing where to install it, keep in mind children and pets in the home. Some people like the humidifier to be kept in a bathroom where it’s quieter and where it doesn’t affect their space.