Some HVAC tools are not so obvious and the homeowner may end up purchasing the wrong one. This can cause a problem down the road when it’s time to go back for a follow-up service.
Also, to do your job right, you want to make sure you have the right tools for your HVAC system.
We’ve put together this handy guide to help you figure out what tools you need. This guide will cover the basic tools you need as well as some of the more advanced tools you can use.
All the tools I recommended are the ones I used in HVAC service and I recommend them to anyone who is getting into HVAC work.
|RIDGID 31100 Model 818 Aluminum Straight Pipe Wrench||Best Overall|
|Mack’s Maximum Protection Soft Foam Earplugs||Budget Pick|
|Fluke 116/323 Kit HVAC Multimeter and Clamp Meter Combo Kit||Upgrade Pick|
1. RIDGID 31100 Model 818 Aluminum Straight Pipe Wrench
- Great as a replacement for traditional large wrenches since it won’t take up much space in your tool belt
- Easily adjustable with just a wrench to make it fit
- Highly durable thanks to the aluminum construction
- Only works with landscape pipe and not necessary to have for regular households
- Not an industrial grade tool
Straight sided wrenches may take forever to find in your garage, but not with the 31100 model from RIDGID. Another low profile tool that’s also light in weight, the 31100 takes up very little space in your toolbox. But don’t for a minute think that this set of wrenches isn’t built to last. It’s made of heavy duty aluminum, which makes it pretty tough.
This can fit pretty much all of your plumbing needs, from standard pipe fittings to those used in landscape irrigation. It comes with two sizes: 8-inch and 10-inch. Both are great for cramped spaces.
2. Estwing Tinner's Hammer
- Easy to fit in a toolbox
- Balanced well for steady work
- Strong grip with shock reduction grip
- Reasonable price
- Slight issues with the head falling off
- Too lightweight for some work
The Estwing Tinner’s hammer is a multifunctional, anti-fatigue HVAC tool designed to keep you comfortable while working. The hammer has a pretty standard weight distribution, and it’s head is made of top quality forged steel. The toothed face of the hammer is perfect for tinsnips and chisels, and is easy to use.
This is one of those tools that can help beat the holiday rush, no doubt. It’s heavy-duty tool made of forged steel is made for both hobbyist and professional use. It’s ideal for home repairs, manufacturing, or construction by not only HVAC guys, but pretty much anybody that’s handy around the house. The toothed face of the hammer has a high carbon tool steel, with a speed head design.
3. Klein Tools 32292 15-In-1 Multi-Bit HVAC Screwdriver
- Has an ergonomic tempered-glass handle
- Boasts an amazing customer service
- Has several insulating O-ring and bit covers
- 25% lighter than most multifunction screwdriver sets
For HVAC contractors and technicians, this screwdriver is the ultimate tool for the job. It’s specially designed for quick and easy adjustment of airflow and thermostat settings. Its patented Express Open and Close (EOC) technology allows you to loosen or tighten threaded fittings with just the push of a button.
The 1/4” nut driver is perfect for your HVAC and electrical job requirements. It has a multi-bit screwdriver system with 14 different bits. The best part is that you can store all the bits in the handle, so you can carry them around easily.
Although our top pick is the right choice for most technicians, it’s not perfect for everybody. It’s 25% lighter than most multifunction screwdrivers, but the material is not as heavy duty. This means that it may not be the best one for cold jobs, especially if you’re using it outside.
4. Malco C5R Crimper
The Malco C5R is ideal for individuals looking for a crimper that’ll punch a wide range of conductors and insulation insulation. While it may not be the cheapest crimper on the market, it is highly durable. The Malco C5R crimper makes it easy to punch Romex, BX, 22-14 AWG solid and stranded conductors, and up to a 1” stranded steel cable.
The Malco C5R uses tool-less adjustment, meaning it’s easy to grip and use. Installation is as easy as just plugging it into an AC outlet. It’s also covered by a 2-year manufacturer’s warranty.
5. MIDWEST Aviation Snip Set
This set of aviation snips from the Midwest is a great tool for a number of applications. While they’re mainly used by people with an aviation background, they can be used for a number of applications such as cutting aircraft wires, metal, PVC pipes, and hoses.
The ability to cut in a straight line, as well as in an angle makes it your go-to tool when it comes to cutting metal wire. The extra long handle is comfortable to use, and the tool has a nice and light weight. Grip your snips using the comfort grip, forged blade, and materials for a better hold, and a less cumbersome experience.
The Midwest aviation snips are covered by a limited warranty. They are made of cast steel with forged blades, and come in a set of three.
6. Streamlight 75712 Stinger C4 LED Rechargeable Flashlight
- The C4 comes with a rechargeable battery that last for about an hour
- It is the only Stinger to come with a removable lithium battery pack
- The longest runtime can last up to 12 hours
- The hard nylon exterior of the C4 can take falls and drops better than most other lights
- The Stinger C4 comes with a spare lamp with CARC head
- The Stinger C4 comes with 2 different modes, 1 LED mode and 2 LED-2 Strobe mode
- The Stinger C4 uses only 2 batteries
- The lithium battery of the Stinger C4 can be hard to find
7. Yellow Jacket 42004 Series 41 Manifold
- Easy to read
- Made in the USA
- Made of anodized aluminum
- Easy to attach to 1/4" NPT pipes
- The diverter is plastic which makes it extremely susceptible to wear and tear
- Gauge is generally considered too small
- Plastic gauge is very lightweight
In considering true value, we chose the Yellow Jacket 42004 as the best HVAC tool for technicians. This is professional grade equipment at a rock solid price point that's perfect for those of you who are in need of a manifold.
While the gauge is thin and made out of plastic, it is incredibly accurate. Not only that, but it's easy to read and lightweight. This means it's a great part. However, the plastic gauge has been known to degrade more quickly than a metal one would.
As for maintenance, the anodized aluminum makes for a durable product. You'll be hard pressed to bend or scratch the metal. The product itself is made in the USA and incredibly easy to attach to a 1/4" NPT pipe. Lastly, the product itself is incredibly easy to clean and is the perfect tool for technicians who need a manifold on hand.
8. Komelon SM5425 Speed Mark Gripper Acrylic Coated Steel Blade Measuring Tape
- ACME measuring tape for accurate marking
- Flexible, rubberized hand holds
- Coated steel blade for durability
- Offers different lengths for a variety of projects
- Secure, lock blade
- Brass case
- Kit includes 1-inch blade, white blade case, 4 pocket clip, and case/rope lanyard
- Blade can break easily
- Floating blade
- Blade can rust easily
If you’re looking for a ruler that’s precise, durable, and affordable, then this measuring tape from Komelon could be what you’re looking for. First of all, the Komelon SM5425 measures a linear foot and has a 1-inch wide tape. It’s made from carbon steel, giving it durability and flexibility.
The Komelon brand is a trusted one; especially when it comes to measuring tapes. This brand has been around since 1962. In 1993, Komelon was purchased by Silvan Holding, based in Switzerland and is then purchased by Aurum Holdings in 2016 after the Komelon brand was purchased by KME Co., Ltd. based in the Korea. However, Komelon still remains operational.
9. Klein Tools J207-8CR Needle Nose Pliers are All-Purpose Linesman Pliers
And Removing Broken Bolts, and Bent Sheet Metal Screws.
10. Fluke 116/323 Kit HVAC Multimeter and Clamp Meter Combo Kit
If you work as an HVAC technician, you likely already have a lot of the tools that you might need, but the one thing that is likely missing is a good multimeter. You may not need a high-end meter that costs as much as a laptop, but you certainly need something that will be sturdy and will be there for you when you need to test a circuit.
The Fluke 116/323 is an excellent meter for the HVAC technician, and it comes with a lot of great features. You’ll get a lot of professional-grade tools for both digital and analog measurements. Using the multimeter function, you can test for continuity, voltage, resistance, and frequency. The multimeter has a low pass filter that will measure high frequencies up to 180 kHz.
But what’s even more impressive than the tools themselves is that the 116/323 comes with a two-year warranty. If you’re an HVAC technician, you know that things can always go wrong. It’s nice knowing that you have some coverage in case something does go wrong.
11. Bosch Power Tools Combo Kit CLPK22-120
The Bosch CLPK22-120 is a great set of tools for HVAC technicians to have in their toolbelt. The tool consist of a 12-volt drill and an impact driver. The drill has a nice ergonomic rubber overmold grip, making it really comfortable to hold during use. It also has multiple speed settings, making it a versatile tool.
The power aspect is also quite impressive. It combines a powerful motor with an efficient energy management system. All of the speed settings will deliver power, with the low settings perfect for precision and the high settings perfect for driving and heavy-duty work.
The impact driver is a really impressive setup, too. It has a really powerful ¼ inch clutch for maximum torque and driving power. It will work with a single battery pack or with two to give you more juice. If you have small handheld jobs to do, using it with one battery and a chuck will make it easy to handle. However, it really shines with a pair of batteries clamped into the dual-fuel system to give you plenty of power to drive large screws into hard woods.
12. PowTech 15 Foot Air Conditioner and Appliance Extension Cord UL Listed
- Sturdy design
- Quality product
- Great price
- Overall value
- Great length
- Burns through ice and frozen locks with ease
- Works perfectly
- Handles are very tough
We realize that the best HVAC repair hand tools are critical to technicians as they go about their daily work activities – whether you’re troubleshooting or repairing. Given that these tools are so expensive in the market, we’ve decided to give you a helping hand and help you save money. So, if you’re looking for a set of great quality tools, then the PowTech 15 ft. Air Conditioner and Appliance Extension Cord is a great place to start.
This extension cord is part of PowTech’s top-of-the-line line of tools. Overall, the performance of this 25 gauge 10 AWG cord is remarkable. It measures 15 feet in length. What’s cool about this cord is that it fits most air conditioners and works with virtually any appliance.
It comes with a 175-degree angle plug for added protection from an accident. We love the overall quality of the cord.
13. Makita JR3070CT AVT Reciprocal Saw
- Designed with less kickback for easier use
- Motor overload protector shuts motor off in case of overload
- Easy blade changes
- Comfortable and ergonomic handle
- Great price for value
- Ideal for contractor use
- Can be used for metal cutting and wood cutting
- Ideal for construction applications
- Lightweight and easy to handle
- Not ideal for extended use
- Not designed for DIY use
The Makita JR3070CT AVT Reciprocal Saw is a versatile tool ideal for small projects around the home, and a must-have for your tool kit. This tool is designed for contractors and makes it easy to cut plywood, framing, and trim.
The 15 Amp motor is designed to tackle hardwoods and metals with ease, making this a versatile tool for your home projects. It's ideal for framing, drywall, plywood, and more. The tool comes with a laser line mode, which projects a horizontal line on the work piece to indicate the start point. Both the laser line mode and the blade stop mode are great for metal cutting. The blade stop mode allows for instant stopping without the hassle of tripping the on/off switch.
14. Scratch Awl
- Narrow head for tight spots
- Non-marring tips
- Easy to grip
- Never requires sharpening
- Quality materials
- A little smaller than what you would originally expect
- Feels a little too light in the hand
- Needs to be sharpened after using but doesn’t affect the functionality of the tool
- Guides are not always 100% square to the shaft
- Screw bits are too wide for the “slot” they are supposed to fit (makes it a little cumbersome to use)
A scratch awl is one of the most important tools for any HVAC technician, and the Klein® square head point scratch awl is by far the best quality scratch awl you can buy.
This is a rugged tool that is constructed from forged steel. It is an excellent choice for use on metal surfaces and is designed to withstand wear. It comes with a square head and a 3-1/2-inch shank.
15. Ironclad General Utility Work Gloves GUG
16. Mack’s Maximum Protection Soft Foam Earplugs
- Extremely soft and comfortable
- Highest Noise Reduction Rating (33 NRR)
- Performs well even when wet
- Too flimsy for some users
- Lacks durability
- Sizes may be difficult for some users to insert
Mack’s maximum protection soft foam earplugs offer superior noise reduction in two levels of NRR – 33 and 29. This makes the earplugs some of the best when it comes to reducing noise and making those nightly sleeps more comfortable.
Sizes are offered in one size fits all, so they’re the perfect option for most people. However, it’s important to note that sizes may be an issue for some users.
The earplugs are also widely acclaimed for their ability to block out water up to a certain extent. This makes them extremely useful in some environments where they’re bound to get wet.
17. ABN Sheet Metal Hand Seamer
If you’re in search of a a quality sheet metal bender then the ABN spring sheet metal hand seamer is the best choice for you. It’s really convenient for technicians who are on the go, but need to make adjustments to their jobsites.
Let’s start with the jaws on the ABN bender. They’re wide enough to accommodate your needs and sturdy enough to handle even the most difficult bends. This makes it great for jobs like sheet metal paneling. Since the jaws have some tension, you know you can achieve a tighter bend. And, as always, there’s a spring to ensure easy action and ease for the user.
With the help of these shears, you can even flatten pre-bends and create smooth edges. In addition, the steel is durable so that it can last more than 5,000 cycles.
18. Caterpillar Men's Second Shift Steel Toe Work Boot
- Good ankle and arch support
- Decent steel toe
- Sturdy yet flexible material
- Added cushion around toes, heels, and shins
- No break-in period required
- Consistent sizing
- Sturdy laces that don't rip their way out
- Not suitable for all-day use
- Only comes in one length
- Although flexible, this isn't a boot you can run in
- Limited selection in terms of size
19. Mastercool 98210-A Electronic Refrigerant Scale
This electronic thermometer is a quick and easy way of measuring a refrigerant without having to go through the hassle of using a pressure test gauge. It’s an economical way of saving time and money. It’s designed to eliminate the need for multiple trucks and equipment used by DIY technicians, slashing your costs and allowing you to focus on more important jobs that only require a small amount of refrigerant.
The thermometer displays values in both psi and bar, making it suitable for a variety of different refrigerants. It’s also capable of displaying both C and F values, making it easier for you to keep track of your measurements.
The thermometer can detect and display pressure values down to a fraction of an ounce with both millibar and psi measurements, making it perfect for a wide variety of refrigerants. It’s also equipped with a K-type thermocouple with a 4mm diameter, for more accurate readings.
20. SolidWork professional Caulk Gun
- Overall Length – 13 inches
- Open Length – 4.5 inches
- Closed Length – 6 inches
- Barrel Diameter – 1.12 inch
- Handle Length – 7.5 inch
- Handle diameter – 0.75 inch
- Barrel of the gun is made by high quality steel
- Barrel has an easy loading tip
- Suitable for use with all 10oz cartridges
- Comes with two years of warranty
- Does not come with instruction manual
- Not suitable for processing standard 1.25" cartridges
- Will not last long when used for heavy-duty works
- Not ideal for professionals.
Efficiently and fast.
We've all been there. You're halfway through the caulking job, and the long caulk tube doesn't fit the last 10 inches of the joint. This is where the problem arises, and your application becomes problematic and unpredictable.
The SolidWork professional caulk gun was designed to solve this problem with an over 26:1 leverage design. The caulk gun comes with a 0.75-inch thick handle, ensuring a solid and high-quality design. A useful feature is that the caulk gun opens to a 4.5-inch hose, which is enough to bend into any angle you need to reach.
21. Fluke 561 HVAC Pro Infrared Thermometer
Here’s the rundown: in our opinion, one of the more important tools for anyone working in HVAC (or really any field) is the Fluke 561. If you’re new to the trades (or only recently started working as an HVAC tech), chances are you’ve never heard of the Fluke 561.
It’s the world’s best-selling infrared (IR) thermometer. In fact, two out of three technicians prefer the Fluke 561 over any other IR thermometer on the market. In fact, two out of three technicians prefer the Fluke 561 over any other IR thermometer on the market.
If a digital IR thermometer was considered the “top of the line,” the Fluke 561 is its “professional” cousin.
22. Bostitch T6-8OC2 Outward Clinch Stapler
- Comes with hardened steel dual-progressive clinch
- Long useful life
- High quality
- Great quality for the cost
- Comfortable grip
- Convenient paper loading
- Provides a heavy duty experience
- Can handle long projects
We love this stapler because it works great and looks professional even though it’s just a manual stapler. The Bostitch T6-8OC2 is ideal for any around-the-office task. This heavy-duty, manual stapler has a dual-progressive clutch which means it’s able to last over long projects.
This Bostitch T6-8OC2 will handle any project you throw at it without giving you any problems. It’s great for stapling many papers together since it’s so high quality and long-lasting. It’s a bit pricy compared to other manual staplers, but it’s definitely worth it.
23. Fieldpiece Heated Diode Refrigerant Leak Detector
- Very easy to use
- Readouts instantly show you what’s wrong
- Requires no calibration or adjustment
- Great for indoor and outdoor use
- Very sensitive
- Works well on all refrigerants
- Readouts are not very easy to read
- High power usage
No home tech should be without this handy heater tracer. It will help identify your refrigerant leaks and adjust your cooling system accordingly. It’s a great time saver and will save you a lot of money.
24. Yellow Jacket 93580 Superevac Vacuum Pump
- Attaches directly to most central suction systems – saves time, energy and money
- Includes 34-foot high-temperature hose
- Manufactured from high quality materials
Up next on our list of best HVAC tools for technicians is this superb vacuum pump from Yellow Jacket. This vacuum is perfect for technicians who deal with central vacuum systems. With its 2000 watts of power, you can be sure that it will have multiple uses for you.
With this vacuum, there will be no need to create a vacuum – this unit will draw it in for you. Most places that install central vacuum systems leave the connection behind when they’re done. That means you won’t need to pay to have a vacuum installed if you have a central vacuum system already installed.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
What tools do HVAC techs need?
HVAC techs need their heavy wrenches. They use these in order to loosen bolts or anything that prevents removal from a hookup. It can be used to isolate compressors from running lines. It can also be used to change the orientation of supply lines, thermostats, and drain pans which are often frozen in place.
Another tool of the trade is the multi meter. With this, HVAC techs can check the gas pressure to make sure the gas pressure is at the desired PSI. They can also use it to check the gas flow to make sure it does not exceed the limit. One can also use it to measure the temperature. They will be able to locate the specific areas which have the sudden temperature change. By doing this, they can set up an appropriate method for recovering the problem.
What is the main tool a technician would use to diagnose HVAC problems?
HVAC tools are similar to computer tools – if there’s a problem you need to find it and fix it. The most common tool, which can be used for virtually everything, is a T-15 screwdriver. It is exclusively used for removing/installing temperature and outdoor air intake grills, access panels, motors, defrost thermostats, and some control knobs of larger indoor units.
Other HVAC tools include volt meter for checking the voltage supply to the system, duct gauge to check for proper airflow in the system, level to check for installation level of the unit, and many more.
What are HVAC tools?
HVAC tools are actually quite general, and include any tool that is used for mechanical and electrical work. The term HVAC is used to refer to the Heating, Ventilation, and Air Conditioning field. An HVAC technician is responsible for installing and maintaining all of the air conditioning and ventilation systems in a building. These systems include temperature control, air filters, air handling units, zoning, humidifiers, and air conditioning units. A lot of the tools used by HVAC work are also general tools used in a variety of other trades. If you’re serious about being an HVAC technician, having the right tools is extremely important, as well as knowing how to use them correctly.
Which software is best for HVAC design?
There are two different types of licenses for ACCA PlanPro software: the right to access the software over a network and the full package where every module of the software is included within the package.
The right to access the software over a network allows for a company to connect to a central server that has all the installation, commissioning, and diagnostic data. The full package license allows the technician access to the full software package, allowing it to run on multiple devices at the same time. The functionality of the full package is not limited to a network.
ACC Enterprise software is a good choice because it is easy to learn and use, as it is based on the Windows operating system.
There’s a lot of HVAC tools available to today’s professional HVAC technician and DIYers. It can be hard for the newbie or DIYer to know which special tools to get for their trade. In this article we’ll help you out by reviewing the best HVAC tools, and the ones that you should avoid. So if you’re a DIYer or professional HVAC employee, you’ll know which tools to get to get the job done right the first time.
|RIDGID 31100 Model 818 Aluminum Straight Pipe Wrench||Best Overall|
|Mack’s Maximum Protection Soft Foam Earplugs||Budget Pick|
|Fluke 116/323 Kit HVAC Multimeter and Clamp Meter Combo Kit||Upgrade Pick|