Installing a fireplace in a big family home is a no-brainer. But small apartments, or even a bedroom, are no reason to not include a fireplace. Either use a fake fireplace or a real one with the fire off.
However you don’t want to make some fire-related blunders. Fireplaces can be dangerous if not installed correctly. Fake fireplaces are so-so. And real fires consume a lot of money, especially if you are using them regularly. So if you choose to go real, then we suggest you follow the precautions in this article and choose a safe and effective fireplace.
If you are unsure on whether a fireplace is a practical option for your property, here is our handy guide on deciding if a fireplace is for you, along with some of the best options for electric fireplaces.
|PuraFlame 30 Inches Western Electric Fireplace Insert||Best Overall|
|HOMCOM Freestanding Electric Fireplace Heater||Budget Pick|
|MagikFlame Electric Fireplace||Upgrade Pick|
1. PuraFlame 30 Inches Western Electric Fireplace Insert
- Stylish and modern
- Easy to install, even for the non-professional
- Affordable price, especially considering the quality of the product
- Burns real logs
- Automatic turn-off when the heat gets too high
- Runs very quietly
- Material could be better quality
- May smell a bit when brand new
- May not put out enough heat to warm a room significantly
If you’re looking for a beautiful decorative fireplace that is easy to install, while still giving you the warmth you want to feel, this could be the perfect fireplace for you. It’s a real fireplace, but you get the look of a modern electric fire.
This fire incorporates tempered glass logs with burning embers and a realistic cracking sound. The fire itself even comes with a remote control. The fireplace glass itself is actually tempered glass, so it’s possible for you to drop it and not shatter, which is great.
In order to prevent overheating, the fireplace has an automatic shut-off that will close if it gets too hot. In order to heat the room, you’ll need to use a floor heating system.
2. Duraflame 3D Infrared Electric Fireplace Stove
If you're looking for a clean and easy way to enjoy the benefits of a real fire without actually creating smoke or an ash mess, then this portable electric fireplace could be the one for you.
This compact, space-saving model is just 8.5 inches tall and is available in two different colors – white or black. You can put it anywhere as it requires no ventilation or chimney and will do just as good of a job heating up your living room as it will in the bedroom.
This unit isn't designed for outdoor use or as a primary heat source, but it does a great job of adding a warm and cozy element to any room of the house.
3. R.W.FLAME 36" Electric Fireplace Insert,Freestanding & Recessed Electric Stove Heater,Touch Screen,Remote Control,750W-1500W
- Safety and energy efficiency
- Large viewing window
- Comes with a remote control
- Remote control can operate the timer
- Chromatherapy is available
- Realistic flame effect is available
- Can be safely installed inside or outside
- Can be installed permanently or temporarily
- Can be used with or without the heater element
- Fire ring has been reported to quit after a few days
- The heater element turns off automatically
- The heater can emit a metallic smell
Electrically powered fireplaces have been on the rise, and this particular stove does not disappoint. It’s powered by a 1500Watt heater, making it perfect for heating small to medium-sized areas. With an average of 400 BTUs, it’s about average, and we’ve found that to be powerful enough for a room up to 200 square feet in size.
We’ve also found that this model is operated by a low voltage system that is safe for people and animals. It’s also child-friendly, and there are no electronic components that would be a danger.
4. MagikFlame Electric Fireplace
- User-friendly remote
- Two lighting modes for the fire, plus a connected app
- Device is customisable
- Free standing, yet stabilised by its black mantel
- Little assembly required
- Reduction of emissions by 87% compared to wood fires
- In-built USA-manufactured technology
- Bluetooth connected using the app
- 25 wattage limit prevents overheating
- Plug-in cable not set to clash with TV set-up
- Packaging may be flimsy, exposing device damaged to elements
- Sound quality of crackling logs
- Shorter than the traditional fireplace
Seattle – Packed in USA with User Manual and Faux Wood Mantel.
This electric fireplace is fitted with a faux wood mantel that imparts a sense of homeliness. The mantel not only stabilizes the system, but it is also removable, with the capability to install a TV set in its place. Users can either watch TV or watch the fire flicker in the background via the two different lighting modes.
5. TURBRO Suburbs TS20 Electric Fireplace Infrared Heater
This indoor electric fireplace will surprise even the biggest sceptic. We love it because it has the authentic look and feel of a real fireplace, without any of the drawbacks. It produces 1280 BTU of heat, which makes it ideal for small to medium sized rooms.
We all know that the look of a fireplace is a great addition to any home. Yet, the truth is that the vast majority of people would rather not deal with the hassle of wood fires. Wood fireplaces make an unbearable amount of mess, and are extremely risky. This is why we’re so glad that this particular fireplace has been made.
This fireplace is an excellent addition to any room that you want to bring to life. It won’t take up too much space, and it will absolutely make your home feel far warmer and more inviting.
6. HOMCOM Freestanding Electric Fireplace Heater
Keeping warm using a gas or wood fireplace isn’t very eco-friendly or passive energy efficient, so we recommend using the HOMCOM electric fireplace, which is one of the best on the market. …
The HOMCOM electric fireplace is a moderate-sized electric fireplace that measures around 21 inches in height and features a sleek black design, complete with a glossy finish. It’s perfect for those who want to recreate the look of a traditional wood burning fireplace without the excessive fuel consumption.
This is also a great fireplace for anyone living in wildfires prone areas as a gas or wood burning fireplace would be more dangerous in these situations. The HOMCOM will warm your space up with the realistic flames. It has three different flame settings: low, high, and off. The high setting outputs around 1500 watts. It also features a fan setting of three speeds, which is great because if you want to use it in the summer, then you can set it to the slower setting so it’s not blasting hot air directly at you.
7. Napoleon 100” Allure Linear Wall Mount Electric Fireplace
8. GMHome 40 Inches Electric Fireplace Wall Mounted Freestanding Heater Crystal Stone Flame Effect 9 Changeable Color Fireplace
- Non-drip fireplace
- Power: 1500W
- Remote control with 3-speed settings
- Adjustable heating angle
- 4 changeable colors
- Silver Frame
- Available 5 colors, glass panel, metal frame and fire
- No on/off button on remote
- Firebox door can be hard to move and sometimes stuck
- Not safe in a windy area
Fireplaces are great for home decoration and enhance the appearance of your home. Electric fireplaces are the safest alternative to gas fireplaces and are a great way to upgrade your living space. They’re easy to install, provide warmth (and sometimes even light) for a fraction of the cost of a traditional fireplace.
This fireplace looks great on our wall and is perfect for a living room. It’s pre-assembled and easy to install. It’s a little less powerful than the others we reviewed, but the warmth it provides feels just right. It’s really quiet and easy to use. The remote is really useful. There are 3 settings on the remote that really make the fireplace great. The lowest setting we use when we’re watching TV in the living room and the middle setting is great.
9. Real Flame White 8060E Harlan Grand Electric Fireplace
- Available in four sizes, ranging from 30 to 80 inches
- Outstanding heat output
- Motion sensor included
- Remote control included
- Constructed from quality materials
- Can be positioned horizontally or vertically
- 6 years warranty
- Simple to install and requires no expertise in electric installation
- New England cedar mantle
- Cast Iron construction
- Not an open flame
- Rather heavy
This electric fireplace will provide you with real warmth without the fuss. It is simple to use straight out of the packaging, and will last you for years to come if properly maintained. It is also very stylish and can fit into any home regardless of its interior.
It is very easy to install, and there is no need for any expert knowledge of electrical work. You will also find the the cast iron construction is very sturdy and durable. The white finish contrasts beautifully with the natural wood burning feature, and will add plenty of warmth to your room.
The price of this product may surpise some, but it offers the heat output and the features of a fireplace without the hassle of arranging and managing your own firewood.
10. ChimneyFree Lynwood Electric Fireplace Entertainment Center in Vintage Cherry
For those who own a flatscreen TV, the ChimneyFree Lynwood electric fireplace is a great option. Its slim design and great storage features helps in concealing the TV when not in use, and it’s also available in different colors. The fireplace itself comes with a remote control and has LED lights that can be adjusted according to your preferences.
The unit measures 32.5”W x 45”L x 13.5”H and weighs around 103.5 pounds. Overall, it comes in at a great value for money, especially given that it doesn’t have any mantel.
11. Southern Enterprises Corner Media Infrared Fireplace
- Features an eco-friendly register that uses a 75% smaller amount of gas than a standard fireplace
- Fitted with a mirrored back panel to give it a larger appearance than it's actual size
- The infrared technology allows for a warm and cosy ambience without having to light it up
- Comes with adjustable back panel that allows you to change the fireplace to fit any decor
- Features an LCD display that gives you control over fire effect with the touch of a button
- Has a remote control for convenience
- Guaranteed for a year
This corner media infrared fireplace from Southern Enterprises is the perfect addition to your living space. While the back panel is mirrored, the fireplace itself is wide open and allows for an unobstructed view of your current décor.
The display is very easy to use. Simply touch the fireplace and you'll be able to fine tune your soothing flames, from the power of the flame, to the amount of smoke that emanates from it. The remote control is also very easy to use, and allows you to control the unit from anywhere in the room.
We also love that the mirrored back panel is adjustable. This means that you can use the fireplace in a small space, and still be able to see all the surroundings without the fire getting in the way of your view.
12. Lifesmart Large Room Infrared Quartz Fireplace in Burnished Oak Finish w/Remote
- Heats up a large room of your home
- Provides a warm and cozy atmosphere
- Accepts wood logs or white gas logs
- Keeps the home dust-free
- Features a five-hour auto-off timer
- Simple to operate and install
- Suitable for wood and gas log inserts
- Offers additional heat throughout your house
- Reversible viewing makes it versatile
- Easy to clean and maintain
- Exterior casing lacks durability
- Best suited for small rooms including offices and entryways
- May cause smoke if not used regularly
- Exterior paint chipping issue
- Not suited for heavy use
When it comes to heating your home, the Lifesmart large room infrared quartz fireplace is an excellent choice. This fireplace reflects a heat against the ceiling and the walls of your home taking out cool and stale air. Apart from this, it also retains the warmth in the air, thereby heating your house.
13. AKDY 27" Electric Fireplace Freestanding Brown Wooden Mantel Firebox 3D Flame w/Logs Heater
- Sturdy and well-built
- Heat settings are useful
- Comes with a remote control
- Large enough to fill the entire wall
- Offers lots of add-on features
- Great customer support
- Effective in warming up the room
- Also looks great when the flames are off
- Some parts of the unit are not fireproof
- Stickers can begin to peel off after a while
- Instructions aren’t great
- On/off switch feels cheap
The AKDY DBF26D-T is our pick for the best electric fireplace. It’s large enough to take up the entire wall and offers lots of flexibility. What’s more, it’s made from sturdy MDF material.
AKDY offers a 1-year warranty that covers tons of things. We hope you won’t encounter any issues with the product, but if you do, you can be sure you’ll be well taken care of. AKDY also offers phone support on weekdays, so if you want to ask about a product, call them anytime.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Which electric fireplace gives the most heat?
An electric fireplace will not provide as much instant heat as a wood burning fireplace or a gas fueled fireplace. However, electric fireplaces generate more heat than the typical wall mount heater, most of which contain a small, ceramic heating element, which cannot generate enough heat to fill a large room. The amount of heat generated depends on the size of the room, the number of electric fireplaces, how far they are from your main heating source, and how high they are mounted.
Electric fireplaces can also be used as a heating source for a smaller room in place of a wall mount heater.
Is it cheaper to use electric heat or gas fireplace?
There is no difference in price between the two options and all electric fireplace come with remote control operation. If you want a real fire going you will have to use natural gas. However, if you just want to sit back and enjoy the glowing fire and not worry about flame, use an electric fireplace.
Do electric fireplaces cost a lot to run?
Electric fireplaces are electronic devices which simulate a burning fire. This look is natural and cozy, something which propane and gas fireplaces don’t offer. The operating cost involved with an electric fireplace is not much and is quite average when compared to the running cost of a gas or propane fireplace.
Electric fireplaces are easy to operate, even by the elderly people in your family, plus you can easily store them during the summer months or move them from one area of your home to another.
How much does it cost to convert a fireplace to electric?
The cost for converting a fireplace in a house to electric is dependent upon many things, including the type of fireplace it is, the efficiency rating of the fireplace, the design of the fireplace, as well as the size of the fireplace.
If you have an existing fireplace in your home that you intend to convert, you will need to get it inspected for proper fire safety measures first. If your fireplace does not have any fire-proofing in it or if it doesn’t have a rating, you will have to bear the extra cost of having the fireproofing installed at the time of conversion. You will also have to factor in the cost of the fan. The cost of a fan is contingent upon the size of the fireplace and the size of the room you intend to heat with it.
The best electric fireplace will likely be a major buy; if it’s your first time buying, you may be a little daunted by the range of options available. We’ve tried to make the process a little easier by offering a list of the top 13 electric fireplaces that represent the best value for money as well as a range of styles. Whether you’re after a traditional fireplace or a more contemporary design, this list will help you make the best decision.